Friends Of Man
A rabbit cleric? A wolf ranger? A snake sorcerer… with a half-elf familiar? What kind of campaign is this?!
From Aesop’s Fables to Kung Fu Panda, myth and fantasy across world cultures have often featured talking, wise, and/or magical animals as heroes, or the heroes’ allies. FRIENDS OF MAN is a humble contribution to this ancient lore tradition, in the form of a D&D campaign where all (or at least most) of the player characters are animals.
READ FIRST! — The 10 Things You Need To Know About This Campaign
The current PC party consists of:
“Bear,” a black bear fighter who has never received a name due to the tragedy of his childhood
Dread, a wolverine barbarian
Evra, a snake sorcerer with a NPC half-elf familiar
Lulu, a rabbit cleric
Lyall, a wolf ranger
Roxie, a raccoon rogue
The party is brought together in their early adventures by the NPC
Digger, a German shepherd paladin.
Player characters for FRIENDS OF MAN will be created using the PHB and Skirmisher Publishing’s supplement The Noble Wild: An Animal’s Player’s Handbook for OGL Role-Playing Games (henceforth abbreviated NW). Other resources may be allowed, but are subject to DM approval.
Certain animal species – namely, the iconic African or Asian animals – will be unavailable at the campaign’s start (though they may become available at a later time), and humanoid characters will be subject to DM approval. A complete list of available starting species can be found in the house rules.
Go to the Forums to discuss scheduling issues, rules questions, in-character and out-character chats, and so forth.
Finally, be sure to click on the Characters Tab to get a look at some sample starting-level animal PCs. You can use them as a guide or inspiration for your own starting character, or simply “adopt” one of them to play as-is. The sample PCs are:
* Digger, a 1st-level male German shepherd paladin, self-appointed guardian of the people of Westdale
* Thoop Thundercroak, a 1st-level male toad wizard who comes from a family of warriors
* Bright-Sky-After-Storm, a 1st-level male deer fighter who’s formed a loose friendship with Digger
* Trebora, a 1st-level female black bear cleric who suspects the kobolds of the eastern mountains are up to something, and
* Garrick Toadthrall, a 1st-level male halfling greater familiar (new class introduced in NW), who serves Thoop while suffering from amnesia brought on by his summoning.